The Our Fund Foundation/Community Foundation of Broward Funders Collaborative sets a collective goal of creating a more informed and empathetic general populace in Broward County that is supportive of protecting the civil liberties and expression of LGBTQ people living in Broward County.
At a time when the national political discourse is re-engaging discussions about the basic civil liberties afforded to LGBTQ citizens, it is of critical importance to the well-being of all Broward residents that we work collectively to end discrimination against LGBTQ people.
Broward County has the highest percentage of gay households in Florida and one of the highest in the country. Fort Lauderdale, the county seat of Broward County, was the one of the first to legalize protection from discrimination based on sexual orientation and its school district was among the first to support LGBTQ History Month in October. Broward welcomes more than 1.1 million LGBTQ visitors annually, making LGBTQ tourism an economic generator of the region.
While the affluence of a segment of Broward’s LGBTQ community is highly visible, LGBTQ people in Broward and across the country remain a marginalized class and vulnerable population. Actions and policies being discussed in the political discourse are expected to further exacerbate disparities imposed upon LGBTQ people, including in health, income, education, and safety.
For these reasons and for the safety and well-being of all Broward residents, it is imperative that we engage and expand integration of LGBTQ equity initiatives aimed at the whole community into our community investment priorities.
To be eligible for funding, your organization must:
- Be a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, or provide documentation that the organization is fiscally sponsored by an organization that has 501(c)(3) status
- Be either:
- A LGBTQ-primary organization (defined as an organization whose mission includes the LGBTQ population as the primary focus of their work; whose staff and board predominantly reflect the LGBTQ community; and which primarily serves LGBTQ people); or
- A non-LGBTQ-primary organization seeking funding for a LGBTQ-specific program/project should show a track record or history of serving the LGBTQ+ BIPOC community, or have an LGBTQ+ partnering organization that is BIPOC led.
- Request support for a project serving Broward County residents.
- Request support for a project occurring beginning April 2023. Implementation period is flexible.
Awards: Organizations can apply with a proposal up to a maximum of $50,000.
Please note the following are not eligible for support:
- Requests for costs incurred prior to the date of the grant award
- Requests led by government agencies
- Requests for capital support, including construction and renovation
- Fundraising event sponsorship
- Organizations with outstanding grant project reports
Deadline and Timeline
Agencies interested in applying for and receiving grants from the LGBTQ+ Social Justice & Equity Fund are encouraged to attend a Q&A session to have questions answered about the application, process and priorities for the LGBTQ+ Social Justice & Equity Fund grants.
Application opens: Monday, October 31, 2022
Application Deadline: Friday, December 9, 2022 at 11:59 PM
Q&A RFP Session: Wednesday, November 9, 2022 at 10:00 AM
Panel Interviews with Finalists: January 18 & 25, 2023
Grants Awarded: April 2023
For more information email: Obed Caballero, Communications and Administration at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Please review guidelines carefully before submitting an application electronically (below).
On our application submission page, if you already have a user account, please sign in.
If you are new to the site, please create a user to get access to the application.