Our Fund serves the LGBT community by uniting donors to make sure their charitable interests provide the impact intended; bringing together nonprofit organizations that provide services for the needs of the LGBT community; and functioning as a central station for these organizations and donors to make sure the most urgent needs of our community are addressed.
Join us on
November 12, 2012
Our Fund’s Second Annual
National LGBT Leadership Forum
It's a fact that the November elections will have an impact on the future of equality for all LGBT Americans. It's not just the Presidential election but also local and statewide elections and same-sex marriage initiatives on the ballot in four states. The federal challenges to California's Prop 8 and DOMA only adds to the argument that collaboration between leaders working to achieve full equality is a requirement we cannot afford to ignore.
Six days after election day, Our Fund will be hosting their second annual LGBT Leadership Forum focused on the effect of the upcoming election on our quest for equality. We are honored to have five nationally recognized LGBT leaders come to South Florida for what promises to be a lively and informative discussion. Whatever happens on election day, this Forum will give us a sneak preview on how organizations will work together towards a goal we must reach.
There is no charge for admission. Details are noted below and you can register to attend at:
Hope to see many of you there.
Our Fund Grants $80,000
To Non-Profits During Pride Month
Over $270,000 distributed in 12 months
by South Florida’s only LGBT community foundation
Fort Lauderdale, FL (June 19, 2012) – At a recent reception for Our Fund supporters, CEO/President Anthony Timiraos announced a major collaborative effort between the organization’s Donor Advised Funds and other donors that resulted in eight $10,000 grants to organizations serving the LGBT community in the tri-county region. The grants support specific projects that improve and enhance the organizations’ ability to achieve their missions and sustain themselves over time.
“A major philanthropic impact is achieved when our Fundholders and a group of our donors named the First 100 Funders work together to make positive change happen in our community. This is a perfect example of what can be achieved with a coordinated effort.” explained Timiraos. This recent grant distribution brings Our Fund’s total dollars to non-profits serving the LGBT community to just over $270,000 during the past twelve months.
The wide variety of projects that are being supported include:
• funding for an electronic health record system at Care Resource giving patients the ability to access and send secure information to providers through the internet,
• sponsorship of an educational US Holocaust Memorial Museum traveling exhibit “Nazi Persecution of Homosexuals 1933-1945” to be displayed at Lake Worth’s LGBT Community Center, Compass,
• funding for the “Equality Means Business” project by Equality Florida that will increase major corporation support in South Florida towards LGBT equality,
• support for the establishment of a central office facility and fundraising capacity for the Gay Men’s Chorus of South Florida,
• awareness and counseling to be provided by Gilda’s Club of South Florida on cancer issues within the LBT community with a stronger focus on the transgender community,
• resources for the Women with Pride project at the Pride Center which will increase the empowerment, comfort, connection and safety of LBT women locally,
• support for an upcoming symposium with school districts across the US to develop a framework for the first-of-its-kind K-12 LGBTQ curriculum organized by the Stonewall National Museum and Archives,
• SunServe will expand services to gender variant individuals by mental health professionals and give transgender clients a safe place for them and their families,
Additional projects that may be supported by other donors will be posted on Our Fund’s website later this month.
These projects are generously sponsored
by the following Funds at Our Fund:
First 100 Funders Fund
DC Allen and Ken Flick No Gay Hate Fund
Bill Beaton and Ted Emery Charitable Fund
Mona Pittenger Giving Fund
Dick Schwarz and Tom Massey Charitable Fund
Jim Stepp and Peter Zimmer Fund
George Zuber and Anthony Snyder Charitable Fund